Date(s) - 16/05/2023 - 19/05/2023 9:15 am - 12:30 pm
Write Here, Write Now Retreat with Will Medd
WriteHere, RightNow is a unique opportunity to get some writing done with the support of colleagues and live coaching with Will Medd to help you generate a sustainable, productive writing habit in balance with the rest of life.
Like so many things we have to do, writing for your research is one of those things we rarely feel satisfied with. We come up with all sorts of distractions. Convince ourselves we need to read more. Fear wasting time going down the wrong track. Worry we’re not doing justice to the complexity of the ideas we’re grappling with. It can all get so heavy, so much is at stake. Rarely do we feel satisfied; like we’ve done a good days work!
WriteHere, RightNow offers a combination of ‘retreat’ to create space to write and live coaching ‘experiments’ to explore different approaches to the experience of writing.
Focusing on a particular piece of writing, in a playful way we’ll explore what happens to our writing when we ask what our writing agenda is (What’s really at stake in this piece of work? What is the goal?), how we get in our own way (What pressure and fears are you creating?), how we might write from different experiences (What perspectives might be helpful?) and what might be worth giving a go (What are the options for playing with here?).
The retreat will include identifying new writing habits that you can start putting into practice so come prepared to try out and experiment with different approaches to your writing experience. With fun and frustration all thrown into the mix you will leave with some clarity about what works for you.
Participants will come away with:
- Dedicated writing time on their topics.
- Greater awareness of what gets in their way of their writing and how to overcome that.
- Insight from colleagues about their writing experiences and strategies.
- A commitment to new writing habits.
Participants will need:
- a laptop or something else to write on (we will be writing a lot during the course)
- to have something you are currently writing with you (chapter, article, analysis, conference paper)
- to be curious, open minded about your writing, and be willing to explore different ways of changing the experience.
- to be on time! It makes a huge difference if we kick off to a good start
NOTE: this workshop will not involve assessment of your writing or engage with writing style, grammar or English. It is about the experience of writing and finding ways to work effectively.
To register, please do so via the following link: https://forms.office.com/e/ddxLiFxggf. Please only register if you are able to commit to attending. Priority will be given to those who are able to participate in all four days.
Zoom details will be sent in due course.